Amendment 4 to the Code of Safe Working Practices for Merchant Seafarers (COSWP) 2015 edition provides updates to Chapters 1, 3, 10, 13 and 24.
COSWP provides guidance on improving health and safety on board vessels and articulates how statutory obligations should be fulfilled. The Code details the regulatory framework for health and safety on board ship, safety management and statutory duties underlying the advice in the Code and the areas that should be covered when introducing a new recruit to the safety procedures on board.
It is a statutory requirement for the current edition of the Code to be carried on board all UK ships, other than fishing vessels and pleasure craft. The Code contains essential health and safety information and it must be made available to any seafarer on board the ship who requests it.
Amendment 4 includes the following:
- Update to Chapter 1, with risk assessment forms added.
- Update to Chapter 3, with updated information on the safe use of e-cigarettes.
- Update to Chapter 10, with updated information on the safe rigging of pilot ladders.
- Update to Chapter 13, with a list of human and organisational factors that may have contributed to an accident.
- Update to Chapter 24, with more information about welding fumes.