Boat Books Australia is an official supplier of Electronic Navigation Systems and a distributor for the Australian Hydrographic Service and the United Kingdom Hydrographic Office for both raster and Electronic Navigational Charts (ENC).
Australian Electronic Navigational Charts (AusENC)
AusENC are official vector Australian Electronic Navigational Charts (ENC) published by the AHS, Australia's national charting authority. They provide coverage of Australian and Papua New Guinea waters. They are authorised for use in IMO compliant Electronic Chart Display and Information Systems (ECDIS) and can also be used in compatible Electronic Chart Systems (ECS). ENC deliver additional functionality over paper or raster charts when used in an ECDIS or ECS. Benefits and functionality include:
- Enabling vessels to navigate using real-time GPS positions displayed directly on the ENC.
- Enabling the ECDIS to respond to a safety depth contour based on vessel's actual draft.
- Look-ahead functions which enable dangers or hazards to be identified automatically and warnings and alarms raised.
- Provision of alerts and prompts for planned course alterations. The ability to customise the display and level of detail to suit the vessel, conditions and time of day.
- Vessels navigating in Australia on an IMO compliant ECDIS, to meet SOLAS Chapter V regulations covering the carriage of electronic charts and ECDIS. Further details at Australian Maritime Safety Authority.
- Commercial vessels 12 metres or more in length and engaged in Australian domestic operations, to meet the National Standards for Commercial Vessels (NSCV) when used in IMO compliant ECDIS or NSCV compliant ECS. Further details at National Marine Safety Committee.
- Recreational vessels to sail both inshore and offshore.
Approximately 850 ENC are included in the AusENC service.
Choose from these products in our online shop:
For help choosing your pack, see the full product information at the Australian Hydrographic Service.
- Australia Pack
- Coastal Packs
- Port Pack
- Voyager Packs
- Licences are available for a year and during this period come with a free download update service, premium service available as an extra cost.
Australian Raster Nautical Chart (AusRNC)
AusRNC, (Raster Nautical Chart) is an official raster charting service providing coverage of Australian, Papua New Guinea and Australian Antarctic Territory waters. AusRNCs are high quality facsimile reproductions of the Australian Navigational Paper Chart Series in Hydrographic Chart Raster Format (HCRF). They can be viewed in compatible Chart Display and Information Systems (ECDIS) and compatible Electronic Chart Systems (ECS). AusRNC enables mariners to perform all the traditional navigational functions such as bearing and distance calculation, way-point insertion and route planning. Most compatible systems will allow a link to GPS to show real time vessel position.
More information at the Australian Hydrographic Service.
United Kingdom Hydrographic Office - Admiralty Vector Chart Service (UKHO AVCS)
The Admiralty Vector Chart Service (AVCS) brings together Electronic Navigational Charts (ENCs) from national Hydrographic offices around the world and new ENC coverage produced by UKHO in co-operation with Foreign Governments to provide comprehensive, official, worldwide coverage.
Benefits of AVCS:
- Always have the most up-to-date data
- Delivery via email or CD
- Get only what you need
- Reduced costs
- Greater operating efficiency
- 100% compliant
- 100% 'official' data
- Flexible Licensing
- The most comprehensive coverage available
- Coverage increasing all the time
- Updating automatic and free
Contact us to purchase the AVCS charts.
The IMO Bookshelf is the International Maritime Organisation's e-reader software. E-reader files are available for all major titles. More information and full product range at the IMO.
How does it work?
To use the Official ENC Charts you need to have a compliant navigation system, which is "IHO-S63 compatible". There are many systems available, the ones we recommend are listed below. These systems come with a Security Dongle and have a "IHO-S63 User Permit" number that is required when ordering any ENC's.